High school was definitely an experience that I do not want to relive. But I also recognize that it was quite formative in how I ended up engaging with other people, engaging with the world.Ernest White II
Ernest White II is a TV show host, writer, story teller and entrepreneur. As a kid, he was intrigued with exotic places, and he turned that passion into his TV show Fly Brother with Ernest White II.
I really enjoy his show, it’s fun and human. Ernest really likes to make a personal connection with people in his travels, and I experiences this first hand when I talked with him. I was surprised at how willing he was to delve into his personal life and the formative experiences that influence him today. He’s super positive and inspiring.
Ernest studied political science at Florida A&M University, and has an MFA in creative writing from the American University in Washington. He is also the CEO of Presidio Pictures, based in San Francisco and Vancouver.
There are references to bullying in this podcast.
- High school in Florida
- Always looking to do interesting things, organizing trips
- Despite being bullied, got lots of support from teachers and friends
- On being gay, labels, and how things have changed since he was in high school
- How we’re perceived in the rest of the world and our perceptions of others
- An early fascination for things foreign, prompted by a book given to him by a teacher
- Foreign exchange trip to Sweden while in high school
- The importance of engaging with people IRL
- Adding self-worth to the curriculum
- Working with others
- Next set of goals and aspirations
- It’s not all sunshine and rainbows
- People are made of strong stuff
Links and Resources
Fly Brother on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
Ernest White II on LinkedIn
Youth for Understanding
Here I Go Again by White Snake
Nature Boy by Nat King Cole
Body Dysmorphia disorder